Book Review: A Mother's Rule of Life

 In A Mother's Rule of Life, Holly Pierlot beautifully reminds us that as wives and mothers, the married life is our vocation, given to us from God and encourages women to order their lives around a "Rule of Life," a traditional Christian tool often used in religious community life.  After examining the 5 priorities of the married vocation: Prayer, Person, Partner, Parent, and Provider, Holly walks her readers through creating daily, weeks and monthly schedules and routines designed to bring order, peace of mind and holiness to our lives as wives and mothers.  I found her book interesting, affirming, inspiring and incredibly helpful in my own life.   
       
      With a preschooler and special needs toddler, life can get pretty overwhelming.  I am very busy and a little scatterbrained and easily get off track.  Before I know it, the day is gone, the house is a wreck and everyone is starving.  But when I follow my rule, the house stays cleaner, my days run smoother, and feel I feel happier, and yes, a little holier.  I have read and re-read Holly's book, and get new insights and inspiration each time.  Holly also keeps a blog, although in this season of life she is unable to be on it as much, but it has been invaluable to me as I learn to live by a "rule."

    I can not say that living by my rule has been easy, but what sanctifying process is?   Even today, as I write this post, I am blogging during my lunchtime routine.  Sometimes I feel confined by my schedule.  I want to rebel against the rule.  I may not follow my rule rigidly in this season of life, but it continues to be my guide, and I will continually strive for the Christian Perfection Holly describes in her book.  

 Perhaps you have read this book and can't imagine living by such a rigid rule.  I would challenge you to give it a try any way.  Disciplining ourselves to live out our vocation purposefully is hard, but well-worth the sacrifice.

This would be an excellent book for a small book club or mom's group. You can purchase this book from Amazon in paperback or for Kindle.  (If you purchase through the links on this site I do get a small  stipend from Amazon for the advertisement.) 

Happy Reading!

A Mother's Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul (kindle edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment